The City of Glendale Public Works Department is seeking a full-time Utility Worker/Turf Maintenance position.
Salary Range $ 19.00 – $ 25.00 hour Hiring Range: $ 19.00 – $ 21.00 hour
Assists with the maintenance of the playing field and surrounding field complex, assists with all functions regarding the playing fields, and coordinates non-game use of all fields. Also, assists with the maintenance of City of Glendale Parks, Streets and Utilities. Maintains records on work activities; assures adequate supply of materials and supplies; prepares monthly reports on maintenance activities. Assures proper safety standards and precautions are adhered to. Performs preventive maintenance on specialized equipment; assures equipment is in proper working order; operates a variety of grounds keeping equipment and heavy equipment.
Works under the direction of the Public Works Director and/or their designee(s).
- Aids the Glendale Public Works Department in the preparation and maintenance of the playing field and surrounding landscaping (including Infinity Park field and South Park complex) to include sand based, mineral soil, and synthetic turf fields.
- Assists in developing, implementing and executing an effective program for maintaining a healthy, durable playing field, to include, but not limited to, watering, fertilization, mowing/cutting, aeration, chemical treatments, grooming of synthetic turf, etc.
- Properly applies fertilizers and other chemical compounds based upon manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Operates light-duty vehicles, riding mowers, backhoes, push mowers, weed eaters, chain saws, rakes, shovels, blowers, sprayers, hand saws, hydraulic boom, lifts, small tools, and any other equipment associated with turf care operations.
- Assures that employees adhere to departmental policies and City of Glendale policies.
- Promotes good public relations between general public and other employees.
- Cooperates and coordinates with other Stadium and City-wide departments in the use of the playing field for ceremonies, sponsorship use, filming, rugby clinics, and non-rugby use of the playing field.
- Attends herbicide, turf management, irrigation maintenance and/or pest control classes as directed to stay abreast and knowledge in landscape techniques.
- May be called upon for assistance with repairs and/or maintenance to the water, wastewater, and street systems.
- Will be called upon to assist in snow plowing and de-icing operations.
- Performs other duties as needed or assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of: athletic field maintenance; to include the use of herbicides and pesticides; irrigation systems; drainage control methods; the environments surrounding the athletic fields and the ability to implement safeguards as needed.
- Ability to professionally and successfully interact with staff, supervisors, and other City staff, players and officials.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with Glendale City officials, city departments, program participants and the general public.
- Ability to perform physical labor for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work long, irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Strong teamwork abilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to proficiently read, write, and speak English.
- Possession of, or the ability to, obtain a valid Colorado driver’s license
Education or Formal Training:
- Graduation from high school or general equivalency diploma (GED);
- Minimum of a two year degree in Turf grass Management, Horticulture, a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certified Landscape Technician (CLT) or Certified Turf grass Professional (CTP) preferred.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and/or have authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be able to read and write the English language.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in maintaining grounds and landscape with specialized knowledge of irrigation systems, turf management and high performance sand based fields, mineral soil fields and synthetic turf fields.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES, & SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have a valid Colorado Class “R” driver’s license with an acceptable driving record.
- Must have or be able to obtain a valid Colorado Class “B” CDL within six months of acceptance of the position.
- Must have or obtain a Class I Water distribution System Technician Certification within 18 months of acceptance of the position.
- Must have or obtain certification as a Class I Wastewater Collection System Technician Certification within 24 months of acceptance of the position.
- Certification as a Certified Landscape Technician is desirable.
- Certification as a Turf Grass Manager is desirable.
The above-mentioned licenses and certifications must be maintained as long as the employee is employed with the City of Glendale. The City of Glendale reserves the right to request employees to seek additional certification and training, if additional training and certifications are required to perform their job duties.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Must be capable of safely operating light-duty vehicles, snow plows, automobiles, riding mowers, backhoes, push mowers, weed eaters, chain saws, rakes, shovels, blowers, sprayers, hand saws, hydraulic boom, small tools, and any other equipment associated with turf care. The employee must also be capable of operating a computer and printer, facsimile machine, photocopier, and miscellaneous office equipment and accessories customarily used in an office environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear; and use hands to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Maintain physical condition and stamina necessary for performing manual labor and for operating motorized equipment and vehicles and working in outside conditions
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of mild electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Employee is at no cost. Contribution required for dependents.
- Flexible spending account
- Life insurance in the amount employee’s current salary.
- Long Term Disability paid out at 60% of normal salary.
- 8% of employee’s annual salary paid into 401(a) with 5-year vesting period
- Membership for employee and dependent family members to Glendale Sports Center.
- 12 paid holidays.
- Paid vacation:
- 80 hours vacation annually for 1st 5 years
- 120 hours vacation annually after 5 years
- Sick pay accrued at 96 hours annually